Tip 1. Hand Wraps:
Why wrap your hands?
The handwrap’s purpose is to protect a boxer’s most important weapon, his hands! The hands are made up of many small joints and small bones that could easily fracture from the impact of repeated punches. Handwraps are there to hold your hand together providing support for your wrists, fingers, knuckles, and the entire hand itself.
The handwraps are there to secure all your loose joints and moveable bones. The handwrap fastens all your joints together so the shock is better distributed across your entire hand. You don’t want your joints to be moving freely and independently when the hand strikes an object. You can suffer a fracture if joints are moving in their own direction.
That being said, now follows the steps to wrap hands correctly:
- Use the loop put over the thumb and wrap behind the hand
- 3 times around the wrist
- 3 times around the hand bringing it back down to the thumb
- 3 X’s through the fingers, this part pulls your knuckles together for support but keeps your knuckles seperated so they don’t collapse or break over each other.
- Wrap then over and across your knuckles 3 times
- Wrap over the thumb drawing it into the hand
- Finish off around the wrist and tie off.
- Congratulations a perfect hand wrap!
A perfect handwrap will tighten your fist when you close your hand.